The marshmallow room...

decorating Domestic bits

Ive needed gallons of this over the past few days… rivers of tea have flowed from the Rayburns kettle to the big brown tea pot, and finally into my spotty mug… fuelling the great Marshmallow Room adventure…
Tiny tiddlywinks worldly belongings were extracted from the dingy room to the sitting room, spreading outwards like an overfull council tip…
It even extended into the dining room. I really do not like mess… so this was all more than a bit painful for me! BUT, as I kept reminding myself, things must get worse before they get better. Ive been saying this in the house for 20 years now…. enough said!
The original colour was a very dark pink (barbie… yuk) and because I never had enough paint at the time, it was streaky dark paint, giving the whole room an overall feeling that it had been wallpapered with streaky bacon. Never a good look….
The end wall was damp and horrible. Mr Fairysteps cut all that out, panelled it with lovely wood, finished off with moulding, skirting and loveliness. I then set to painting an undercoat of white emulsion on the walls. It started bubbling and peeling, I started huffing and puffing. The room was covered from drawing pin holes and dents and digs from 3 tiddlywinks occupation over the years (my children spent their early years moving around the house like Nomads looking for ground to pitch their tent). The plaster was dry and hadnt been sealed when the room was originally built (I know because we built it!) so the paint just was never going to look tidy. It was at this point that I thought, Yes, Im going to do this job properly, once and for all.
Sooo, then began the long arduous task of peeling every morsel of paint from the walls, filling holes, sanding, sealing the plaster, undercoat, then 2 top coats, then collapse, Oops, no time to collapse there is the bed and the dressing table to do yet…..
Mr Fairysteps built the bed especially to take a narrow 2’ 6" mattress. All the frames I saw were overpriced and very poorly made so making one was the only option. The knobs were added a few days ago and then I set about undercoating, sanding and then top coating in 2 coats of Satinwood. Its a proper Princesses bed now! I think a crochet blanket in here would be perfect, white borders with rosy centres… OR, Ive just remembered, I bought a stunning vintage original candlewick bedspread at a jumble sale last year. Its white with the most amazing rose patterns on it. Its about ½" thick, pure cotton and utterly snuggly. I must wash it when the sun comes out…. if the sun comes out….
The dressing table was a little bit of a dilema for me. Its an Arts & Crafts period piece made in solid oak so I was loath to cover up that beautiful dark honey patina. But the drawer handles were broke and the whole thing needed to be white to make it seem smaller in the room. The bedroom is the smallest in the house so giving the illusion of space really matters. Hence the white, and palest of pinks on the walls.
Now Ive painted this, I must admit it turned out rather nicely.
The little ‘saved from the tip’ school desk and chair sit next to the new radiator perfectly. The floor looks shocking now and needs painting, but thats a summer job for when we are outside. The curtain rail has to go back up and a new plug to be installed for the bedside lamp.
The room is being 'reloaded’ at the moment and I am beginning to see the sitting room floor again.


Back to the Fairysteps workshop for me this week. I hope to be sending out shoe orders during the week together with a pile of accessory orders. And, by Jingo, if it isnt February… Im supposed to be opening up the bespoke shoe pages any day now…….


Have a good week everyone!

Older Post Newer Post


Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published